Headington Carriers Fleet

Who To Notify When You Move House

The big day is coming up, you are packed, you have everything you need for the move and you are ready. Or are you? You might have all the boxes you need, but do you know exactly who you need to tell about your change of address? 

Sometimes it’s the little things that fall through the cracks that can mean the difference between a stress-free move and a stressful one. We are here to help you know exactly who you need to tell your new address, as well as your nearest and dearest. It can be easier to break things down into more manageable pieces and making a list of the people you need to contact is a great place to start. We have compiled a few of the most important to help start you off. We will be looking at these four main categories:  

  • Authorities
  • Work 
  • Health
  • Home


Royal Mail 

The Royal Mail offers a service where they will forward your post from between 3-12 months. You need to give them at least 5 days’ notice and you can apply up to 6 months before and after your move. This service is not free but can be useful especially for the first few months, just in case you forget to let Aunt Glenda know and miss her birthday £5!


When it comes to council tax, you will need to let both your old and new council know of your change of address. Even if you stay in the same area you will need to let them know so that they charge you the correct amount. Doing this as soon as possible will save you being landed with two lots of council tax to pay. 


You can complete the DVLA form online here. It covers your driving license and your V5C logbook. It’s also worth checking your breakdown cover and letting them know too. You dont want to be driven to the wrong address if you break down! 


As banks are often a proof of address it’s a good idea to change these as soon as possible. This is especially true of anyone who still receives paper statements, as you want to make sure they are sent to the correct address. This also includes any credit card providers and also online banking services. 


You can check with your pension provider how best to let them know, and if you have a state pension you can let them know here.



This is an important one for payroll so let your employer know as soon as possible. Also, if your emergency contact lives at the same address as you, make sure to change their information too.

Professional associations 

If you are a member of any professional associations then let them know to carry on receiving all the latest news in the annual newsletter. 

Schools, colleges and educational institutions

All schools need up to date information for their students or any emergency contacts they have on record. As moving can be a stressful time, the school will also appreciate the information, and be able to keep an eye on the younger family members. 


Doctor surgery 

Try to get set up at the local GP as soon as you can, as you never know when you might need an appointment. Also, if you have any prescriptions sent to your house inform the pharmacy.

Dentists & Opticians  

As with doctors, any information from opticians and dentists needs to be sent on to your new practitioner if you are moving out of the area. 


Let’s not forget the furry members of our family! Especially if they are on any kind of medication, you never want to be caught out, so find your new local vet and let them know. 



Making a note of any final readings and letting your providers know of your move can save a lot of hassle later on. This might also be the time to have a look at your options for a more competitive deal. We find price comparison websites really useful for this. Make sure you take a reading at the new property too when you arrive. 


Home insurance, car insurance and travel insurance providers all need to be informed. The cost of cover may change due to the area you live in, so check with them if your policy will change at the new address. 

TV Licence

Your TV Licence wont automatically move with you so you will need to let them know. You can do this up to three months in advance and will need your TV Licence number. You can access the form here. 


As with utilities this may be a good time to check out your options when it comes to providers. Remember that not all providers have great connection speed in all areas, so use this chance to shop around. This is especially important if you work from home, as no one wants to have a frozen zoom meeting! 


Any postal subscriptions need to be informed, such as magazines, newspapers and online subscriptions. Also, Gyms need to be informed if you are canceling your membership or moving it to a more local club to your new house. 

It’s a good idea to set aside an afternoon to spend contacting all the relevant people. Grab all the account numbers, security questions, forms of ID you will need, make a massive cup of tea and work your way through. Its not the most fun part of moving but your future self will be thanking you. 

For all the other parts of moving day we are here to help, and if you have any questions please get in touch.